Starting out as a freelancer is tough. There are tons of challenges and ups and downs on the road to freelance business success. In starting out, I recommend the following tips:
- Hire a CPA who will help make sure you are documenting expenses and income correctly
- Get active in social media
- Consider hiring an outside firm for promotional marketing services. This is a great service to outsource to an expert company, who can ensure you’re reaching appropriate markets in the most effective manner possible.
- Make a killer website
- Shake as many hands as you can at social events and promote your work
- Print business cards
- Make an email signature with your business name and information
As a seasoned freelancer who was once a newbie, I can tell you it takes many months–and sometimes years–of hard work and persistence to get to the point where you are able to live comfortably and feel secure as a freelancer. It’s not impossible, but you absolutely can’t give up or slack off. Good luck!